Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Digital radiography, electric handpieces, intraoral cameras: Technology updates for new owners of existing dental practices

I distinctly remember the evening I closed on my practice. The day was overwhelming, exciting, and exhilarating, but when everyone left that evening, the office was silent. I had just signed contracts and borrowed more money than my mortgage, car, and dental loans combined for what I knew would be my dream practice, but as I looked around in that moment, all I saw was outdated technology.

I knew how I wanted my practice to be and look, and I immediately felt disheartened. After all, how could I have the premier practice in my area without up-to-date equipment? I am sure that many other new business owners have felt this way too. Fortunately there are some technology updates you can invest in that will have a meaningful impact on your patients and practice at a substantially lower cost than a complete office remodel.

Digital radiography

When I purchased my practice, I knew I could not travel back in time with my procedures and efficiency. The first technology upgrade that I invested in was digital radiography. I decided to invest in DEXIS, predominantly because I was familiar with it and it easily integrated with my patient software. We have not experienced any complications with our sensors, and digital radiography has been a valuable technology advancement and time saver for the practice.

Our patients are impressed at how quickly and easily we can capture an image. In addition, the image is available on a computer screen right in front of the patient, which facilitates patient education and informed consent. Patients also value the significant reduction of exposure to radiation.

High-impact, low-cost technology updates

Electric handpieces

Another notable upgrade is the incorporation of electric handpieces. Patients appreciate the noticeable reduction of the “drilling sound” in the office and during procedures. Dentists who use electric handpieces appreciate the consistent torque of the handpiece, which helps to create more efficient, smoother, and better tooth preparations and improves caries removal. When sectioning and removing crowns, or when removing existing restorative material with an electric handpiece, the bur travels through those materials with much more ease and fluidity. In my experience, the bur may not cut as efficiently with some air-driven handpieces, resulting in chattering noises and a less efficient cut. Moreover, polishing composites, ceramics, and metals is more efficient and effective using electric handpieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment