Monday, August 14, 2017

Dental implants versus keeping teeth: Which is better?

A reader notes a trend in which many dentists are removing teeth that are restorable and placing dental implants and crowns or fixed prostheses in their place. He asks if dentists should still encourage patients to retain teeth that require significant restorative and/or periodontal treatment. Dr. Gordon Christensen gives his expert opinion.



Q:

I am frustrated with the current trend I see with dentists removing teeth that are restorable and placing dental implants and crowns or fixed prostheses in their place. Some of my previous patients who have moved away are being encouraged by their new dentists to have their teeth removed and replaced with implant-supported fixed prostheses at a major cost. Knowing my previous patients well, I am aware that some of them have functionally restored teeth, and yet they are being advised to have them removed. Some of these patients have come back and asked for my opinion on this concept. Am I incorrect? Should we still encourage patients to retain teeth that require significant restorative and/or periodontal treatment?

A:

As a prosthodontist, I have been placing and restoring implants for more than 30 years and have observed significant and impressive success. However, now that we have watched root-form implants for many years, we are far more knowledgeable about their advantages and limitations. I will briefly discuss my observations based on research and my personal experience, having had the opportunity to watch thousands of teeth and implants in service over several decades.

No comments:

Post a Comment