Monday, August 14, 2017

Digital dentistry:


What does digital dentistry mean to you?
Do you own an intraoral scanner? Do you have an in-office mill? Does your lab have CAD/CAM scanning, milling, and printing capabilities? If you have any of these things, chances are you invested a lot of money and time into them. Why did you invest in these systems? Perhaps it was to increase efficiency, reduce time to completion, lower costs of lab work, or maybe just to be on the cutting edge of new technology. The beautiful thing about this new technology is the ability to deliver better restorations. It enhances communication with the lab via instant feedback on impression accuracy, and it decreases waste of materials, such as impression material and alloy, in the casting process.

Unfortunately, too many dental professionals lose sight of what a wonderful restorative alternative they offer with this technology and they sell themselves short. They undersell their services and think about offering the lowest possible price. In the last few years it appears that many are racing to the bottom. “How cheap can I sell this?” is uttered too often, when in fact it makes more sense to charge more. Sure, you can scan that prep and mill a lithium disilicate crown in the office. Should it be cheaper or more expensive than one taken with impression material and sent to the lab? What do you think? Even if it’s quicker and easier, the rate of inflation, cost of rent, maintenance, and more dictate that fees remain at least the same.

Today, digital dentistry reminds me of implants in the late ’80s and early ’90s. Discussing all the cool things we can do now is fun. But inevitably the discussion evolves into price and speed. “How much will you charge me for a model-free crown just glazed?” “Can you do better than that?” “You know, so-and-so lab sells them for this much.” “Why don’t you put a mill in my office and make a satellite lab and charge me even less?” When I speak to technicians I hear, “I converted all my doctors to milled lithium disilicate even if it’s not proper prep design. I make those crowns looser so they will go down. If I have to remake, I remake.” Where is the quality in this work? Where is the pride in craftsmanship?

No comments:

Post a Comment